Helpful tips for choosing the right rehab center
When you make the decision to get treatment for your alcohol or drug addiction, you have taken a brave first step toward recovery. Finding a residential rehab program tailored to your needs will provide you with an optimal setting for getting well. The goal is to find a rehab center that will inspire you with motivation to get well and give you the resources and support you need to overcome addiction and live a sober life. The following tips for choosing the right rehab center can save a lot of time when you may not have a lot of time to make a decision:
- Identify your needs as it pertains to treatment. There will likely be budget concerns, so contacting your insurance company to review your coverage beforehand is essential. You will want to explore programs that are covered by your insurance plan first, as they will provide the most economical benefit. If your insurance does not cover an inpatient treatment program, inquire with each facility what options are available.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Create a list of questions to ask a drug rehab center. Include questions about the program’s philosophy on addiction. Ask if the program helps patients reintegrate into society with a 12-step program along with a proper after care support system in place. The best way to ask questions is to visit the rehab center before entering treatment. While there isn’t always time for this, it can be very helpful in choosing the right drug treatment center.
- Looking for state licensing and high ratings will also help someone in choosing the right rehab center. Learning about the certifications held by the treatment center and its staff is important. Reputable centers will most likely have a qualified staff of experienced and trained medical and mental health professionals that understand addiction firsthand, because many of them have overcome it as well.
- Choosing the right drug treatment center should include finding out what therapeutic model the program you are researching is based on. It is also important to research the different models. Some common ones include the Hazelden-style approach, cognitive behavioral therapy, and motivational enhancement therapy.
- Choosing the right drug treatment center will also be determined by certain decisions you must make first. It is important to consider where you want to receive treatment. It may be better to distance yourself from where you reside if the area you live in may trigger a relapse based on your past experiences and history there. However, once you have completed treatment and return home, you will have to establish ongoing counseling and support locally to maintain sobriety.
- One of the most important tips for choosing the right rehab center include finding out how the facility prepares patients for reentering the real world once they complete treatment.
In addition to the above tips for choosing the right rehab center, other factors to consider include learning the duration of a rehab program, if there is a waiting list to enter, finding out if the facility employs a trained medical staff that is equipped to medically supervise and monitor patients going through detox, and if the program is equipped to treat dual diagnoses. A dual diagnosis usually includes a psychiatric condition in addition to the substance abuse disorder that is present, which is not uncommon with individuals who suffer from addiction. Also, it is important to learn if there is a medicinal component included in the program, where medications are administered as needed to curb cravings, relieve anxiety, or reduce pain associated with withdrawal. Proper treatment will address all your issues to be successful. Each of these items should be included in your list of questions to ask a drug rehab center.
Other questions to ask a drug rehab center include finding out what services are included in the program’s fees, what activities patients are involved in during treatment, if follow up care is provided after patients are discharged, and if so, for how long. This is a lot of information, that is why it is important to create a list of questions beforehand to aid you in choosing the right drug treatment center. Lastly, once all your questions have been answered, it is time to make a choice. The sooner you can secure treatment to combat your addiction, the sooner you can overcome it and begin living a sober life.