Know how to help someone with drug addiction with encouraging words for recovering addicts.
Recovering from addiction is like coming back from hell. You have managed to stay alive while on the battlefield and now you are marching toward the light of a new day. Some days are easier than others, and you try very hard to stay focused. Sometimes you can use a little support from family or friends to lift your spirit and empower you to make it through the journey. Something as simple as a kind and encouraging word can make a world of difference. The following are words of encouragement for someone in rehab or out of rehab. Words of encouragement are food for the soul that feed the recovering addict pearls of wisdom, strength and hope. Are you speaking encouraging words for recovering addicts?
Did you know that your words have power? Even the book of Proverbs talks about this important subject, stating: “Life and death are in the power of the tongue.” When a person is spoken to in a negative way, it hurts their spirit and they may start to doubt themselves and begin to believe what was spoken. When a person is encouraged with positive words it lifts their spirit and they begin to process what was spoken over them as the truth. If you want to know how to help someone with drug addiction you should start to speak positive, encouraging words to him. And not just any words, but words that resonate with him.
You can start speaking words of encouragement for someone in rehab by pointing out to him the positive changes you already see him making. Are you beginning to see a change in his behavior or attitude? Let him know. Tell him how proud you are of him for working so hard to overcome his addiction. Be sincere and always speak positive encouraging words, and you will be speaking life to your loved one.
A positive environment also helps to keep the mind focused on what is important. You can create that environment for your loved one by writing down positive affirmations that he can hang up where he can see, read and speak them every day. This is how to help someone with drug addiction even when you are not with them (but your words can be). Here is a list of words of encouragement for someone in rehab:
- My recovery must come first so that everything I love in my life does not have to come last.
- The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.
- There is no person walking the face of the earth who demonstrates more courage, dignity, and integrity on a daily basis than a recovering addict.
- Be stronger than your strongest excuse.
- Just because you made some bad mistakes doesn’t mean you are one. Don’t let your past mistakes define who you really are.
- Some people will never forgive you, but never let that stop you from forgiving yourself.
- No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today to make a new ending.
- Don’t be disillusioned by where you are now on your journey, just take one day at a time and you will progress at your own pace.
- Believe you can and you are halfway there.
- Sometimes you can only find heaven by slowly backing away from hell.
- When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.
We hope these words of encouragement for someone in rehab have been helpful to you. Share them with recovering addicts whenever you can, and add a few affirmations of your own.