Now that you’ve completed treatment, it’s time to maintain sobriety. Use these 8 tips for staying sober after drug rehab.
If you’ve recently completed rehab, or you are on your way to recovery, congratulations! You’ve managed to refocus on yourself and your well being, and achieved something outstanding. Now it’s time to apply these tips for staying sober after drug rehab, which are key in maintaining your sobriety in the long run.
You are not the only one that questions how can you stay alcohol free after struggling for so long, or how to stay sober from drugs after going through rehabilitation. Those questions linger in the minds of all recovering patients. And while wondering “how do i stay sober after rehab ?” is a fair concern, there are many tips for staying sober after drug rehab that you can use as part of your continuous care plan.
Your aftercare plan is the set of tools, guidelines, support system of counselors and relatives, that you’ve built during your time in rehab. You can always rely on this support system to regain focus, to vent when necessary, or simply for a shoulder to lean on.
Below are 8 tips for staying sober after drug rehab that can help you on a day-to-day basis once you have completed a rehabilitation program.
- Use and take advantage of your continuous care tools: group meetings and sober living homes are key resources when the question of how can you stay alcohol free arises.
- Change your routine and environment: sometimes letting go of old friends and places is the best option if you are wondering how to stay sober from drugs. Old habits should not have space in your new, sober life.
- Set short-term goals: focus on what you want for yourself in a week from today, how you want to see yourself after months after rehab.
- Talk to your loved ones: support from friends and family can make an outstanding difference and reassure you when you are questioning “how do i stay sober after rehab ?” or “will I make it ?”
- Keep-up the outpatient care: don’t stop going to follow-up meetings or appointments for no apparent reason. Consistency is imperative for your new life after rehab.
- Have a plan for going out: whenever you are going hang out with friends and family, have a set rule of avoiding tempting environments for the first few months, bars and clubs are not the right scenery just yet.
- Know your triggers: knowing what triggered your drug use is highly important in maintaining your sobriety, being aware and knowing how to fight them off when they appear.
- Accepting and forgiving yourself: self-love, self-respect and self-care are the fundamentals for your new life, where your overall well being should be the primary focus.
You can rely on these tips for staying sober after drug rehab and whenever doubts may try to shake you up. A strong support system at home, your community of therapists and peers, the mechanisms you’ve learned to prevent relapse… use them, trust yourself and seek immediate help if necessary. While you should never underestimate external factors, you should always believe that you can succeed on your journey to recovery, and that you have what it takes to regain sobriety and maintain it.
Call us today at 1.800.429.4690 to find out how we can help you find the perfect treatment centers, so you can get started on the road to recovery.