Overcoming Addiction Through a Higher Power – Finding Faith Based Drug Treatment
Addiction is a serious mental disease that is a one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in American. In 2016, the country saw over 64,000 preventable overdose deaths. For some people, addiction can be especially difficult to deal with because of the feelings of guilt they feel for betraying God. However, faith based drug treatment has been used successfully for many years and through spiritual rehab centers, overcoming an addiction and becoming closer to God can be achieved.
As a spiritual person seeking addiction treatment, what are some of the things to look for in a spiritual-based rehab facility?
Faith Based Drug Treatment Philosophy
The main driving force behind faith based recovery programs is approaching the treatment of substance abuse and addiction from a religious or spiritual point of view. In these programs, addiction is viewed as the result of a poor relationship with God. The emptiness that is created in the absence of God’s presence in the person’s life is what causes the desire to abuse substances in an effort to fill that hole.
Through God or another higher power, the disease of addiction and the behavior it causes can be stopped. The concept was initially developed as main driving component of the famous 12-step program. It has seen great success since its creation in the 1930s, helping many addicts go no to lead happy, fulfilling lives. The program creates a platform for people to establish a lasting connection with God that will help them overcome their addiction to substances such as alcohol, meth, opioids and cocaine among others.
What to Look for In Faith Based Drug Treatment
Spiritual rehab centers combine traditional, research-based treatments with a spiritual or religious approach to addiction treatment. Patients are essentially getting the best of both worlds – the spiritual and scientific.
Generally, the following are elements that should be present in faith based recovery programs:
- The center provides adequate education of various spiritual principals.
- They encourage people to develop a healthy relationship with a higher power.
- The faith based drug treatment incorporates religious studies and prayer.
- Drug counseling is provided including methods such as cognitive-behavioral therapy among others.
- There is a focus on addiction education because the more a person knows about it, the better equipped they are to deal with it.
- The detox process can be assisted with medications such as suboxone and methadone.
- Each person is taught various relapse prevention skills to assist them after they leave the rehab center.
- The center should provide both inpatient and outpatient programs depending on the patient’s needs.
- Alternative treatment programs such as animal and art therapy are provided for those who may benefit from it.
Furthermore, an effective faith based treatment program for substance abuse also provides aftercare services once the intensive treatment is concluded. This includes access to support groups and the times when they meet as well as sober living houses where recovering addicts can learn to become independent again without the need for drugs and alcohol. Sober living homes are places where several addicts live under one roof and share in their recovery experience and follow the same rules. It is the ideal place to transition from intensive therapy to the life the recovering person would like to create for themselves.
Beating addiction with the love and acceptance that God can bring to a person’s life can be easier than just a normal rehab program. Contact Better Addiction Care today to have them help you find a spiritual rehab near you. Call us at (800) 429-7690.