Sober activities for couples can help keep a relationship strong when one or both of you enter recovery from an addiction.
When you or your significant other gets help for a drug or alcohol addiction, you’re both in recovery. That’s because addiction takes a toll on relationships, and repairing the damage done is essential for improving lives and staying sober for the long-term. If you and your partner used to drink or do drugs together, finding alternative activities for having a good time is central to successful recovery. Here are 15 sober activities for couples that provide fun and relaxation without drugs or alcohol.
- Go to the movies. Going to the movies is one of the most common sober date ideas, and it’s easy to make a night of it. Have a nice dinner somewhere, then hit the theater. Afterwards, hole up in a coffee shop to talk about the flick over lattes.
- Take a hike. Explore the natural world together with a hike through the woods, into the mountains, across the desert, or on an urban trail. Chances are, there’s a city, state, or national park near you that offer hiking trails. Pack a picnic lunch and plenty of water, and hit the trail for a day spent in nature.
- Enroll in a class. Taking a class together is fun and rewarding. Decide what you’d like to learn together, whether it’s a new language, a new skill like cooking or flying, or playing a musical instrument. Check the schedule at the community college, look for local organizations that offer classes, or find a private instructor.
- Get fit. Getting fit together can be one of the best sober activities for couples, because it’s a great way to strengthen your relationship and reap the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. Join a gym, start a running program, or take up a sport like tennis or swimming, and get your body moving.
- Hit the spa. Add a spa day to your list of sober activities, and spend a few hours together getting pampered. A facial, massage, mani, or pedi is just the thing to refresh the body and spirit, and you can hit the juice bar or have a healthy lunch or dinner afterwards.
- Throw a party. A sober party is a fun way to spend an evening together with good friends. Whether it’s a dinner party or a casual get-together in the back yard, throwing a party with other sober people strengthens your recovery and provides fun, relaxation, and great conversation.
- Go for a drive. When it comes to sober date ideas, going for a relaxing drive can be a great opportunity for having deep conversations, listening to music, or just enjoying each other’s company as you embark on an exploration adventure in the car.
- Go for a swim. Hit the pool or your local beach for a day or evening of frolicking in the water. It’s a great way to beat the heat, and it’s good exercise.
- Visit a gallery or museum. Go to your favorite gallery or museum, or find a new one you haven’t been to. Look for quirky museums in your area for a bit of unique fun.
- Play games. An evening in playing board games can be one of the most relaxing sober activities for couples. Play a game of cards, Monopoly, or Scrabble, or invite the sober crew over for a hilarious, rollicking game of Cards Against Humanity.
- Visit an amusement park. If adventure is your thing, try out the coasters and other rides at your nearest amusement park for a day packed with thrills.
- Cook up a feast. Plan and execute a feast for the ages with your significant other. Cooking together can be fun and romantic, whether you’re feeding just yourselves or a crowd.
- Binge-watch Netflix. Assemble a mess of snacks, and binge-watch a series on Netflix, which offers a range of comedies, dramas, period pieces, and thrillers with episodes you can watch back to back.
- Go for a bike ride. Get out the bikes, and hit a wilderness or city trail for some fun and exercise. Bring along a picnic, or have a destination in mind, like the ice cream shop or an outdoor concert.
- Enjoy a festival. Festival season offers a long list of sober activities, from concerts and farmer’s markets to film festivals and holiday shindigs. Check your local and regional listings for festivals near you.
The options for sober activities for couples is endless. Whatever you enjoy doing, you can do it together and do it sober. No matter what the activity is, it will promote a stronger relationship and stronger sobriety as well as offer opportunities for fun and relaxation, which are essential for successful recovery..
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, get help right away. Make a phone call that will connect you to a professional drug treatment center. The call you make may save your life or the life of someone you love. Call us today at 1.800.429.7690.