JCAHO Accredited Treatment Centers for Addiction: Why It’s Important and Where to Find Them
In industries that have people who desperately want help, there are also people and companies that are trying to take advantage of them. From quick fixes to miracle cures, the drug rehab industry has its share of rehabs that make promises that they can’t deliver on. Thankfully, there are ways to tell if a rehab can live up to their promises through the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Through JCAHO accredited treatment centers, patient trust and quality service are a given.
In this article, we will explore what the Joint Commission is, how addiction treatment centers become accredited, the standards that rehabs must keep, the benefits that accreditation has, and how to find a JCAHO accredited rehab program in your area.
The Joint Commission
The Joint Commission is an independent American, non-profit organization that is tasked with creating and maintaining high quality standards in healthcare facilities in the United States through their JCAHO program. They evaluate health care facilities such as addiction treatment centers through their rigorous accreditation process, ultimately helping the facilities to improve and excel at the services they provide to the public. As such, JCAHO accredited treatment centers are nationally recognized for their quality care and public trust.
The Joint Commission was founded in 1951, and more than 21,000 healthcare facilities are currently accredited and continually evaluated by the Joint Commission and their commissioners made up of nurses, doctors, and administrators. They are the largest and oldest organization of its kind in the United States.
JCAHO Accredited Rehab Program Standards
The Joint Commission continually updates the standards that all of their JCAHO accredited treatment centers must comply to. The purpose of updating their standards for rehabs is to ensure that amidst the drug crisis, addicts are getting the best possible treatment they can get – after all, rehabs are entrusted by addicts to help them with a life-changing medical condition.
Some of the current standards that the Joint Commission upholds through its accreditation include:
- Parent support groups to help those who are also affected by an addiction.
- Pregnant mothers must have access neonatal abstinence syndrome treatment.
- Patients should not be discharged based on any violations of the board’s rules, i.e. case-based administrative discharge.
- Regardless of whether there is new prescription pain medication added, patients’ levels of buprenorphine and methadone must remain consistent.
- There must be pain treatment and management options available to all addicts in rehabilitation programs.
Patient Benefits of JCAHO Accredited Treatment Centers
So, what benefits do patients and their families get from using a JCAHO accredited facility? A facility that is accredited by the Joint Commission has benefits that directly affect their patients, and they include the following:
- Confidence that the rehab is using the latest in evidence-based therapy and treatment methods that will help addicts in the best possible scientific way.
- The accreditation helps to create a safer environment for people to recover in.
- Center operators and patients alike benefit from the education provided.
- Rehab centers are kept up-to-date with any new scientific breakthrough in treatment.
- Using JCAHO accredited facilities can help to reduce the cost of the rehab when using your health insurance.
- The rehab’s treatment structure becomes more stable and stronger overall.
The benefits that accreditation gives is the reason why so many facilities strive to become accredited, even though it can be a painstaking and lengthy process. Maintaining the high standards of care is then a focus of each of the facilities to continue to have the many benefits.
The Process of Becoming Accredited
The process to become a JCAHO accredited rehab is one that can take years to complete. This is because the Joint Commission only surveys and reviews new healthcare centers every 39 months (3 years and 3 months). If a facility is not found to be up to the expected standards, then they must wait over three years to try again.
Every 39 months, surveyors and accreditors go to rehab centers that want to be accredited to perform their various checks. In order to avoid a façade being put on by the new rehabs, the checks are done at random with no prior warning.
Several patients in the treatment programs will be selected at random and a thorough assessment of their patient treatment records will commence along with individual interviews of each of the chosen patients. The patient’s doctors, nurses, and any person that is involved with their rehabilitation will also be interviewed in order to establish the validity of the records and the state of the patient’s treatment program effectiveness. Following a thumbs up from the surveyors, the facility will then receive their coveted JCAHO accreditation for the next 39 months, after which the process repeats.
The process doesn’t end there; every three months, the rehab is required to send all of their treatment data to be reviewed by the Joint Commission. If any area of a particular rehab center is lacking based on the report, the Joint Commission encourages the rehab to improve it before the next thorough assessment. The information is also made available to the public on their website so that the specific quality of a treatment center can be assessed.
Locating JCAHO Accredited Treatment Centers
Finding a treatment center with JCAHO accreditation has many clear benefits. Being able to know that you can rely on the treatment programs to be of the high standards expected from accredited facilities helps to build trust among the public. But how do you find an accredited rehab in your area?
Better Addiction Care has one of the biggest lists of rehab centers in the United States, and you can take advantage of the vast list to located a JCAHO rehab in your area. To find a rehab near you, do the following:
- Navigate to the Menu button in the top left of the site, and click on “Select a State”. Choose the state you would like to search in. Alternatively, navigate up or down the current page until you see the “Search for Facility” on the right-hand side. Type in a zip, city, state, or select a state from the list.
- Select a city or county from the list provided at the top of the next page.
- Upon selecting a city, county, or zip code, you will be taken to a page that has all of the treatment centers in the area. Click on the “View Profile” button to see more about the specific rehab.
- The first bit of information about a rehab specifies what accreditation they have, including their license number.
Alternatively, you can call Better Addiction Care to speak directly to a rehab advisor that can inform you about all of the JCAHO accredited facilities in your area. Call us at (800) 429-7690.