Alcohol Abuse Statistics & Facts
Alcohol abuse and addiction are a worldwide issue that causes millions of deaths, injuries, and complications each year. The foundation of preventing alcoholism and addiction is education. Understanding alcoholism statistics can make clear the severity of addiction and the risks associated with alcohol abuse.
- According to the National Survey on Drug use and Health, 15.1 million adults had an alcohol use disorder in 2015.
- 898,000 men and 417,000 women sought treatment for an alcohol use disorder in 2015.
- 26.9% of those surveyed said they had engaged in binge drinking in the previous month.
- 70% of the surveyed population reported drinking in the past year.
- 56% reported drinking in the past month.
- In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving accounted for 9,967 deaths. This was 31% of all driving fatalities.
Because alcohol is so commonly used, many people believe they can abuse alcohol without consequences. Alcohol addiction facts prove otherwise.
Teen Alcohol Abuse Facts
Another widely studied area is teens and their use of alcohol. Statistics show that according to a National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAA) survey, 8.7 million people between the ages of 12 and 20 had consumed alcohol illegally in the past month. Other alcoholism statistics revealed:
- 68% of children in grade twelve had tried alcohol at least once.
- 35% of 15 year olds had consumed alcohol at some point in their lives.
- People between ages 12 and 20 drink 11% of all alcohol consumed.
- 1 in 6 teens binge drink.
- 21% of high school students reported that they binge drank in the past month.
- 1% of parents believe that their teen binge drinks.
- High school students that use alcohol are five times more likely to drop out of school.
- Teens that drink are seven times more likely to be involved in an alcohol related car crash.
- Teen alcohol use kills 4700 people each year.
It’s clear that if teens use alcohol, statistics show that their lives are at risk.
Find Substance Abuse Treatment
Are you concerned about your teen’s alcohol use? Do you have a loved one with an alcohol addiction? There is hope and help through BetterAddictionCare. Contact our compassionate addiction counselors to create a customized plan for recovery. We can assist you with finding cost-effective addiction counseling at a rehab near you. Call now or fill out a contact form to get sober and start healing with the BetterAddictionCare family.
Ready to Get Help?
Let our team of Addiction Counselors help find the Right Rehab for You!