Wondering if there are ways to relieve pain without medicine? Here are a few tips!
Having to cope with chronic pain on a daily basis is one of the most challenging tasks that a person has to accomplish. The presence of pain is a nagging attention call that continually disrupts normal concentration, and impedes daily activities. Some individuals try to avoid pain medications because they have many undesirable side effects and can become addictive if abused. What are the natural alternatives to handling pain? Are there other ways to relieve pain, and are there body pain treatment home remedies that really work? The answer is yes, and we have listed some of the alternative methods on how to relieve pain without medicine:
- Various herbs have been used for centuries as natural ways to relieve pain. Tumeric is a root that has been used for thousands of years to alleviate pain and inflammation, and was found to relieve arthritic pain as well as ibuprofen. Bromelain is an enzyme found in tropical fruit that also reduces pain and inflammation. Boswellia (frankincense) is believed to block leukotrienes that attack healthy joints in autoimmune diseases. Thunder god vine is a Chinese medicine alternative used to treat the pain and inflammation of autoimmune diseases. Other ways to relieve pain with herbs may include the use of: devil’s claw, white willow bark, ginger, aloe vera, cat’s claw, eucalyptus, and green tea.
- Fibromyalgia, arthritis and lupus are chronic diseases that cause flare-ups (episodes) of inflammation and pain. Medication can be used to help relieve the effects of these diseases, but self-care also plays a big part in managing symptoms. Patients must learn how to maintain balance with periods of rest and activity so that they can effectively manage pain and inflammation.
By learning how to modify activities, have contingency plans for obligations, and a support group of family and friends, most patients can reduce their level of pain and inflammation. The Arthritis Foundation also suggests applying hot or cold packs to inflamed areas of the body. Heat will relax muscles and increase blood flow to painful areas. Cold eases pain by constricting blood vessels and disrupting pain sensations.
- Other body pain treatment home remedies incorporate the use of essential oils. Joint pain can be treated with: rosemary, eucalyptus, sweet marjoram, juniper, clary sage, and wintergreen. Neuropathy (nerve pain) can be treated with: cypress, basil, lavender, geranium, peppermint and juniper berry. How to relieve pain without medicine includes using peppermint and wintergreen for lower back pain. Other essential oil pain relievers are: chamomile, peppermint (for headaches), cayenne, sandalwood, clove, and yarrow.
- You can learn how to relieve pain without medicine by also knowing what food to eat. Certain food will increase inflammation resulting in more pain. Anti-inflammatory foods to relieve pain are: fermented foods, onions, garlic, soaked walnuts, broccoli, pineapple, wild salmon, hemp oil, and spinach. Stay clear of sugar, vegetable oil, refined flour, fried foods, artificial sweeteners, dairy, saturated fats, artificial additives, grain-fed meat, processed meat, and bread containing gluten.
- There are also some enjoyable ways to relieve pain such as getting a massage. The American Massage Therapy Association states that massage therapy can relieve post-operative pain, reduce bone pain intensity, and reduce the frequency and incidence of headache pain. Massage therapy also reduces pain and improves the quality of life for children and adults with cancer. Massage also has a positive effect on carpal tunnel syndrome, leg pain and lower back pain.
- Using behavioral and cognitive therapies are also effective ways to relieve pain. Chronic pain affects activities, emotions, behavior, and quality of life, which can lead to isolation and depression. Psychological services for pain management include learning specific techniques for managing pain. Some effective treatments are: biofeedback, deep muscle relaxation, self-hypnosis, visualization, stress management, deep breathing, distraction techniques, counseling and exercise.
The purpose of pain management is not only to relieve pain but also improve the individual’s quality of life. We hope that our list of ways to relieve pain will teach you how to relieve pain without medicine, and begin to enjoy a pain-free life. If you are ready to begin a journey to sobriety or for more information about drug treatment programs, call us today at 1.800.429.7690.