Learn The Best Way To Stop Drinking
Many people who consider themselves social drinkers don’t realize they have an alcohol problem until they decide not to drink anymore. It may be for health reasons, financial problems, or because friends no longer drink. That is the moment he or she discovers they can’t stop drinking. If you are someone that needs to find the best way to stop drinking, there is help for you.
What Is The Best Way To Stop Drinking?
If you are unable to stop drinking, you need to get help. The best way to stop drinking is different for each person. Here are several suggestions you may find helpful.
- Look for the reasons you drink. Are you depressed, lonely, insecure, sad, or angry? If you drink to deal with these or other emotions, you should see a counselor to learn how to address the issues without turning to alcohol?
- You don’t know the day that drinking alcohol turns from a bad habit into an addiction. Every day you continue drinking brings you closer to losing your job, family, financial security, and happiness. Determine to stop even if it requires addiction treatment care in a rehab facility.
- Don’t compare yourself to friends you know who drink. Using the excuse that someone you know drinks far more than you and isn’t an alcoholic is not a suitable response to your own drinking. Alcoholism is a chronic disease similar to diabetes or asthma. Some people have the disease and others don’t. Alcoholism can’t be turned on and off at will.
- Consider the benefits of not drinking. You will save money, have more time for family activities, no need for excuses when you get drunk, and both your physical and mental health will benefit.
How To Stop Drinking Alcohol Every Night
If you want to know how to stop drinking alcohol every night, consider trying the following ideas.
- Make a side-by-side list of all the advantages and disadvantages of drinking, and be brutally honest in your answers.
- Write down the amount of money you spend on alcoholic beverages in a week, and multiply by 52 to determine how much money is spent in a year. $25.00 a week equals $1300.00 annually. Think of what you could do with the saved money. Many people spend more on liquor each week. Are you one of them?
- Make a list of the ways alcohol negatively impacts your life. Have you missed work due to hangovers? Have you been arrested for “operating under the influence” (OUI)? Are family relationships strained because of your drinking?
- Engage in nightly activities that don’t tempt you to drink. Continuing education, craft classes, gym workouts, and learning a new language are all activities that make you feel good about yourself without any alcohol involved.
If nothing seems to work, and you are unable to stop drinking, call Better Addiction Care (BAC) at 1.800.429.7690 to speak to a rehab counselor. BAC’s free referral service will connect you to the right addiction treatment program whether you need an inpatient detox facility or an intensive outpatient program.
How To Stop Drinking Alcohol On Your Own Safely
Sometimes it is possible for a person to stop drinking without going through a medical detox. If you have recently become concerned about the amount of alcohol you consume, you may not be addicted yet. If you drink too much (binge) once or twice a month, you are injuring your health. If you fit either of these scenarios, you can learn how to stop drinking alcohol on your own safely.
- Set a goal of not having a drink for one month, with a secondary goal of renewing the first if you are successful.
- Eat a nutritious diet to help reduce cravings.
- Spend time with friends who don’t drink.
- Participate in activities that don’t include drinking.
- Enlist the aid and support of friends to encourage you in your goal.
- Join a support group such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA).
If you are not able to stop drinking on your own, you have become dependent upon or addicted to alcohol. Don’t be discouraged if this is the case. Call BAC at 1.800.429.7690. A professional and sensitive addiction specialist will help you get the assistance you need.