While getting there may be a tough battle, there are many positive effects of sobriety that make life worth living after an addiction
At some point during your addiction, you may believe there is no way for recovering. Treatment seems almost impossible to complete, and you may even struggle with the idea of living. But, did you know the positive effects of sobriety are so much more than any doubt you may have of succeeding?
Once someone realizes the benefits of sobriety, they may actually start seeing hope, the light at the end of the tunnel. While the steps to recovery can be complex, it is clear that the hardest part is beginning treatment. Realizing the many sober health benefits that are the reward come after you face that daunting first step of reaching out and admitting you have a problem, and getting the appropriate help for it.
When you are able to admit there is an issue – whether it is alcoholism or a drug addiction – you are already working on your betterment. Many positive effects of sobriety can be seen from the very first days into a rehabilitation program. Your relationships may stabilize, you may start believing in yourself and your willpower to get better and recover, you may even see some physical changes as a result of beginning treatment.
A benefits of sobriety timeline will usually begin when you overcome your stage of withdrawal. While this phase brings the uncomfortable symptoms your body experiences as a natural response to the absence of the substance, what comes after is a stage of undeniable sober health benefits.
Some of the characteristics of a benefits of sobriety timeline include:
- 1 to 2 months after abstinence: confusion, irritability, distractedness, and slow reflexes caused by substance abuse will have likely disappeared by this time during recovery.
- 2 to 6 months after abstinence: you will feel much calmer, more focused and clear-headed, and will rely on your coping skills to prevent relapsing.
- 6 months to a year after abstinence: cognitive gains, energy increase, falling back into normal sleep patterns, decreased anxiety.
- 1 to 5 years after abstinence: all cognitive functions will have returned to normal levels, increased positive outlook on life, ability to cope with stress without the need to consume alcohol and/or drugs.
While this benefits of sobriety timeline is fairly broad, you will experience many more positive results depending on your particular case and struggle with substance abuse.
Many other sober health benefits that come after you recover from drug abuse include:
- Reduction of blood pressure and possibility of stroke or heart attacks
- Faster immune response
- Increased healing from injuries and illnesses
- Lowered cancer risks
- Metabolism stabilization, which leads to healthy fat loss
- Higher levels of energy
There are many other positive effects of sobriety that have more to do with how you live your life after an addiction and how you conduct yourself. You may experience huge improvements in:
- Your career and relationships with colleagues
- Your personal relationships will improve and become stronger
- Your financial situation will regain a much-needed stability
- You will be able to live in the present, without missing out
Completing an effective rehabilitation treatment is a huge success, and the numerous benefits that come with it are an added bonus to regaining control of your life.
We can help you find a drug treatment facility that will help you recover. Our experts and specialists are available to guide and support you every step of the way. Call us today at 1.800.429.7690 to find out how we can begin this search.